Explore and Manipulate Data

 

Explore and Manipulate Data

GIS5103 - GIS Programming - Module 5

Student Learning Outcomes :

  • Work with search cursors
  • Work with lists and dictionaries
  • Check for, describe, and list data
  • Demonstrate correct usage of update and insert cursors
  • Validate table and field names
  • Design a logical model of a script using a flowchart

All of these were accomplished by writing one script as demonstrated in the screenshots below. Print messages appear before and after each process stating what the script is doing, when it is complete, and information about runtime.  First, take a look at a rough flowchart I used to start to understand how the script would be constructed: 

I found it useful to break down the script into small chunks and use # to describe each step as I went. I added the print messages only after I had a functioning script to make the code easier to work with. I also learned a lesson about keeping careful track of where data is saved. At one point in the process, I ended up deleting all the work I had done. Luckily it was fairly easy to recreate and helped me understand the code better. Ultimately starting over from the beginning helped me re-examine my assumptions and discover a solution that had previously evaded me. 







Comments